The Secret to Online Marketing Success
Posted by: Jennifer Woodard | on October 10, 2012
Show up Everywhere
That’s the big secret to being successful in online marketing. You have to show up everywhere you target audience hangs out.
Even better is if you can show up in a variety of formats. This may be the difficult part for solo or very small businesses.
So, how do You Eat an Elephant?
One bite at a time.
Start with one thing that you are going to do. Today you write a blog post or add an article to your website.
Tomorrow you comment on other blog posts or group forums.
Understand that just as it takes time to eat an elephant, it will take time to achieve success with your online marketing.
Create a plan and just keep just keep eating away at that elephant. It doesn’t have to be anything elaborate, just something to guide you and keep you going.
What are some of the Ways that you can Show up in front of your Target Audience?
- Creating a blog and posting often
- Posting comments on other blogs
- Adding articles to you website
- Videos (short 3-5 minutes are best)
- Podcasts that can be downloaded
- Slideshare presentations
- Webinars on demand
- Live Webinars
- Participating in forums and groups
- Writing guest posts
- Excepting guest blog posts
- Submitting articles to publications that you audience reads
- Create a contest
- Interact with your Twitter following
- Follow others on twitter and interact with them
- Hold a tweet fest
- Engage your Facebook fans
These are just some of the things that you can do to get your business in front of your target audience, let you mind run free and think up some more. Even better, if you have more ideas, posts them in the comments sections.
The Ugly Part
Here’s the skinny of it all, you have to keep showing up. You have to be dedicated to online marketing over a long period. The truth of it is, it will take some time to see traction from your online marketing efforts, but don’t give up. I get probably 90% of my business from my blog and showing up where my target audience resides. This is from a one-person operation.
I am thinking about growing my business and possibly adding employees or using more freelancers. How do I plan to do this?
- Add more content more often
- Add a bigger variety of content (videos, podcasts, webinars, slideshare, eBooks, speaking, workshops, ECT.)
- Growing my email list so that I can get more leads and nurture those leads into clients
This is just some of the ideas that I have come up with for now. I am working on a plan for next year right now and you should too.
What are you waiting for?
Are you scared it won’t work? Well of course, it won’t if you don’t do it. Why not try it and see if it works. The great part is that the biggest commitment is your time and energy.
You don’t have time. Well cut out an hour or two of television a day, get up an hour earlier or stay up an hour later.
You have to get off your ass and do it to see results. Try it for yourself for a while and if is too much for you but you realize the benefit, than hire someone to help you.
I know you are tired of hearing about all the other people who are achieving success marketing their businesses online.
Stop sitting back and wishing it was you and do something about it.
Are you really doing all that you can to achieve online marketing success?
What are some other ways that you can think of to show up in front of your target audience?
You can always comment on my Blog, connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, join my LinkedIn group Marketing and PR for Professional Service Firms, sign up for my NEWSLETTER. or Contact Me.
- Professional Coach’s Online Marketing Success Story I talked to a client recently that I helped create...
- Are You Setting Concrete Goals to Generate Leads Online? I hear it and read it all the time “I...
- Laying Your Social Media Foundation Before jumping into social media and getting involved in every...
- Six Tips to Building Relationships with Prospects Online The old adage is that it takes seven touches to...
- Real Estate Blog: 13 Tips for Generating Blog Content for Real Estate Agents I was at a get together this weekend and...