Are You Trying to Keep Up with the Marketing Joneses?
Posted by: Jennifer Woodard | on May 14, 2013
Focus Your Marketing Activities so they Don’t Overwhelm You
I see it all the time when I talk to small business owners. When I ask them about how they are marketing their businesses, their eyes roll and they act as if I blasphemed or something. Marketing seems to be the last things want to talk, think or do when it comes to their business.
Many prefer to hope that business will come, that each customer will tell a thousand other people about their great business and they will be able to live happily ever after.
Well good luck with that.
The reality is that if you want to stay in business or grow your business you are going to market your business.
The thing that most people don’t understand is that marketing does not have to be hard or unpleasant. You can successful market your business focusing on the marketing activities that you enjoy doing.
You don’t have to do everything.
If you enjoy writing then concentrate on writing that your audience will enjoy. You can:
- Create articles for you blog
- Create articles for other people’s blog
- Create articles for consumer or trade magazines and their websites
- Post your articles on LinkedIn
- Create articles for article directories for others to share with their readers
- Tweet your articles to your Twitter account
- Create white papers or special reports
- Create eBooks and Books
If you enjoy speaking then concentrate on speaking engagements. You can:
- Offer speaking engagement to local community centers and churches
- Create podcasts
- Create video’s, post them to YouTube and your website or blog
- Create webinars that people just watch or participate
- Become a guest lecturer at your local community college
- Create seminars or workshops for local community centers, community colleges, churches, and other educational learning centers
If you enjoy creating presentation and/or graphic then concentrate on presentation and/or graphics. You can:
- Create Slideshare presentations
- Create webinars whether live or on demand
- Create infographics
- Create interactive comic books, games and apps
- Give workshops on how to create great presentations
- Give classes on developing basic graphic design skills
Whatever marketing activities you choose, choose those that you enjoy and will not feel overwhelmed by forcing yourself to use what is hot. There is a variety of ways to create marketing opportunities utilizing a limited amount of tactics.
If you do not have time to spend on social media or do not enjoy social media then do not utilize those tactics, and if you do, then limit the amount of time that you spend doing those activities.
Take some time to think about what you truly enjoy doing, than choose the marketing activities that you will look forward to working on, on a daily basis. Find a few activities that you enjoy and put your full energy into those activities. Monitor their effectiveness and make adjustments as needed.
What Marketing Activities do You Most and Least Enjoy?
Join My Groups Linked Groups:
Marketing and PR for the Professional Services Firms
Blogging for Business Growth
- Seven Simple Tips to Get Off Your Ass and Start Marketing Your Business You hate marketing. Yeah, well join the club, most business...
- A Simple Guide to Creating Your Marketing Plan for 2013 The current economic downturn is causing stress among small businesses...
- Professional Coach’s Online Marketing Success Story I talked to a client recently that I helped create...
- Inbound Marketing vs Outbound Marketing There is a lot of talk about inbound and outbound...